Sunday, August 1, 2010

Ten Step Challenge Results

Hey Everyone!
Last post I challenged readers to start simple and take a Ten Step Challenge to see what you can find if all you did was leave to go out the front door and take 10 giant steps in any direction. To prove how easy it was I will show you what I found in my Ten Step Challenge.




OK, so  after finding this tree out in my yard from my Ten Step Challenge and I wanted to identify it. I went online and found what is called a dichotomous key for trees. A dichotomous key is kind of like playing 20 Questions and is used as a tool to identify something.  Today I used it to identify the tree but there are dichotomous keys for other items found in the natural world (the Resource Section has good ones to check out).  After answering the questions that the dichotomous key asked it told me that the tree I have is likely a black cherry tree.  I am going to leave the eating of the fruit of the tree to the birds.


Here is what some readers sent in from their Ten Step Challenge.

This picture was sent in by Jake who noticed that the flowers were packed down in one area.  Jake guesses that an animal like a deer could have walked on them or rested in the patch of flowers causing them to be flatten. Nice observation Jake!

Nahama found this patch of clovers on her Ten Step Challenge. She said she tried find a 4 leaf clover in the patch but couldn't find one.  Keep searching, you might find one some day. 
On Jimmy's Ten Step Challenge he heard some birds and in his ten steps he was able to sneak up and get close enough to take a picture before they flew away.  Can you find the birds in this picture? There are two that I can see.
Keep sending in your results!  I am glad that you all could Meet Me Outdoors.
Stay tuned for our next adventure!

1 comment:

  1. I loved these photos! Does Jake really have deer in his backyard? Wow! Has he seen one close up?

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to write your comments here. Or you can send an me email with drawings or photos of your findings: meetmeoutdoors.mail@gmail.com.

If you are not sure where to start here are some ideas to get you started:
- Why do you like to go outdoors?
- What is your favorite outdoor activity?
- Where is your favorite outdoor place to explore?
- What adventure would you like to see me go next?

If you have questions about my adventures or wonder what other people are doing, leave a comment and see where the conversation flows.

Please note that your comments are checked for content, any spam or inappropriate comments will be removed.

~ Meet Me Outdoors