Monday, December 20, 2010

Total Lunar Eclipse

Yes it is cold outside, and night time, but it is not often that you get to see a total lunar eclipse.  To be seen by all of North America and I am just waiting with anticipation.  I already took a peek even though I know it doesn't start for a couple hours. The whole thing starts at 1:32 a.m. EST when the full Moon starts to move into the shadow of Earth.  The Moon is fully in the shadow – and fully eclipsed – by 2:40 a.m. and stays that way until 3:53 a.m.  The darkest part of the eclipse occurs at 3:17 a.m., when the Moon is in the deepest part of Earth’s shadow.  From 3:53 to 5:02 a.m., the Moon moves out of the shadow.  

Next time we will get a total lunar eclipse in this part of the world will be in April 2014. So if you got clear sky's get outside and have a look. Join in the lunar fun and Meet Me Outdoors!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! How'd you know all this? ;-)

    So, I want to know if you really saw the eclipse? Before I went to bed I saw a very full moon, but I have to admit that the pillow had greater pull for me, than this event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did go see the eclipse last night, well at least the first part of it. I took some pictures that I will post soon.

    To answer your question about how do people know when an eclipse is to occur is all based on math and knowing the orbits of Earth around the Sun and the Moon around the Earth to see when they cross paths. There is a yahoo answers forum that explains it well. This is the link: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090724052210AA9dKYQ

    I hope that helps. Check back for when I add the pictures I took.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to write your comments here. Or you can send an me email with drawings or photos of your findings: meetmeoutdoors.mail@gmail.com.

If you are not sure where to start here are some ideas to get you started:
- Why do you like to go outdoors?
- What is your favorite outdoor activity?
- Where is your favorite outdoor place to explore?
- What adventure would you like to see me go next?

If you have questions about my adventures or wonder what other people are doing, leave a comment and see where the conversation flows.

Please note that your comments are checked for content, any spam or inappropriate comments will be removed.

~ Meet Me Outdoors