Sunday, June 19, 2011

It was just around the corner

While still being new to town I knew there was lots of hidden places to be discovered. Little did I know there was one just around the corner from me.  I was heading out to meet some friends and needed my gps to get me there as I had no idea where I was going, when it sent me down a road that I pass by every day but never thought to go down.  That is when I made the discovery of a fun little park with a small pond that had flowers around it in colorful patches as well as water lilies.  As I drove by I knew that I wanted to return later that day to get a closer look but it was pouring out that afternoon so I had to come back another day.
There are 5 ducks in this picture. Count them if you don't believe me.
Can you find the ducks?

I went back the next day when it was clear out and took lots of pictures of what I found.  There were families sitting out either on the benches or along the edge of the pond, and some walking along the path around the pond.  It funny that the area was called Springlake when it was too shallow to be a lake, but still beautiful. 

I did spot some animals in and a round the pond.  There were mallards (ducks), the females were swimming in the water and the males were standing on the wall of the pond. I tried to take pictures of them but the animals look blobby as they kept moving around, and they blend in, camouflaging with their surrounding. 

When I got close enough to the pond to look in it I saw something orange moving under water.  It was fish called koi, they are kind of like goldfish but bigger.  I think there were 5 in the picture I took, but with the clouds reflecting on the water, it was hard to see some of them. 

Now that I know that this little park is near me I can go visit any day and enjoy it.  Perhaps there is a park like this near where you live and you may make a new discovery like I did.  Now that it is nice out why not try going for a walk around your neighborhood on an adventure to discover how close nature is to you.  Go on, get out of the house and explore! Meet Me Outdoors

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to write your comments here. Or you can send an me email with drawings or photos of your findings: meetmeoutdoors.mail@gmail.com.

If you are not sure where to start here are some ideas to get you started:
- Why do you like to go outdoors?
- What is your favorite outdoor activity?
- Where is your favorite outdoor place to explore?
- What adventure would you like to see me go next?

If you have questions about my adventures or wonder what other people are doing, leave a comment and see where the conversation flows.

Please note that your comments are checked for content, any spam or inappropriate comments will be removed.

~ Meet Me Outdoors